After a typical arduous week of work, I don’t have the mental energy to compose engaging prose on some interesting technical topic. However, in order to meet my new goal to just publish something regularly, quality-be-darned, I thought I’d share a list of some of the gear I use regularly. Here’s hoping it will help build blogging momentum and lead to many future posts!
This list isn’t exhaustive and doesn’t include most of what I touch in my day job. However, it’s what allows me to learn, try out new configs, stream Netflix & Hulu, etc.
- Cisco 871 Integrated Services Router
- Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48PS Switch
- 2 x Cisco 1142N Lightweight Access Points
- Intel NUC with 5th Generation Intel Core i7-5557U processor
- 16 GB RAM, expandable to 32 GB
- 2 x 500 GB Samsung EVO Solid-State Drives
- MediaSonic USB 3.0 drive enclosure with 4 x 2 TB HDDs
- 12/25/2016 update – using this drive enclosure with ESXi would not have been possible without the amazing instructions at the following blog:
- vmWare ESXi 6.0
Cisco Virtual Wireless Controller Running AireOS 8.0.135
Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.1 Virtual Appliance
Some work gear: standard boring corporate laptop with far-less-boring AirPcapNx (kudos to colleague Mike for hooking me up with the AirPcap)