After a typical arduous week of work, I don’t have the mental energy to compose engaging prose on some interesting technical topic. However, in order to meet my new goal to just publish something regularly, quality-be-darned, I thought I’d share a list of some of the gear I use regularly. Here’s hoping it will help build blogging momentum and lead to many future posts!
This list isn’t exhaustive and doesn’t include most of what I touch in my day job. However, it’s what allows me to learn, try out new configs, stream Netflix & Hulu, etc.
- Cisco 871 Integrated Services Router
- Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48PS Switch
- 2 x Cisco 1142N Lightweight Access Points
- Intel NUC with 5th Generation Intel Core i7-5557U processor
- 16 GB RAM, expandable to 32 GB
- 2 x 500 GB Samsung EVO Solid-State Drives
- MediaSonic USB 3.0 drive enclosure with 4 x 2 TB HDDs
- 12/25/2016 update – using this drive enclosure with ESXi would not have been possible without the amazing instructions at the following blog:
- vmWare ESXi 6.0
Cisco Virtual Wireless Controller Running AireOS 8.0.135
Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.1 Virtual Appliance
Some work gear: standard boring corporate laptop with far-less-boring AirPcapNx (kudos to colleague Mike for hooking me up with the AirPcap)
I was wondering if you could provide information on the product you are using to attach your AirPcap Nx antennae to your laptop in the picture(an Amazon link perhaps)? We’ve just purchased the AirPcap Nx and am searching for a solution like this. Thanks so much!
PS: Have you had any issues with the adhesive staying attached?
Hi there –
Sure, I bought these items on Amazon:
They seem a little tight around the antennas, so I would’ve gotten a slightly larger size if it existed – so far so good though!